Okpa is a Nigerian delicacy that is native to the southeastern part of the country. Some persons refer to it as native bean cake. In Igbo parlance, it may also be referred to as Igba or Ntucha. The main ingredient for Okpa is Bambara nut; popularly referred to as Okpa beans.
Okpa is normally prepared using very little seasoning powder. The beauty of this delicacy is its natural taste and this taste will be ruined if you add too much of artificial spices to the meal. Learn how to prepare this delicious traditional delicacy for free on Elistatus.
- 450 grams of okpa beans flour
- 13 tablespoons of palm oil
- 2 Seasoning powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 litres of warm water
- Dry banana/plantain leaves
- Small transparent nylons
- Aluminium foil bags (Optional)
- Bowls (Optional)
- First, sift the okpa flour into a medium-sized bowl. Add the salt and seasoning powder to the flour. Mix it very well.
- Add the palm oil. Knead the flour into the palm oil until all the flour has an even yellow colour.
- Pour the water into the bowl containing the okpa flour, little by little. Ensure that you mix it thoroughly so that it forms a thin and consistent paste. Ensure that you crush all lumps too so that the paste will be very smooth.
- Slice the pepper into the paste. Add salt to taste too.
- Pour enough water into a medium-sized pot. Place the pot over medium heat and allow the water to boil.
- Wrap the mixture with the dried banana leaves; bit by bit. To do this, tie one end of the dried leaves with a twine. Stir the mixture very well. Scoop two cooking spoons of the mixture into the leaves. Tie the other end of the leaves with a twine.
- Place the wrapped okpa into the boiling water. Ensure that the okpa wrap is completely immersed in the water.
- Allow the Okpa to cook for about one hour.
Serve the okpa hot; together with any beverage drink of your choice. You can also enjoy your delicious okpa with custard or garri.
Watch the video here:youtu.be/KiOl54ao2Mc
My name is Kofo and this is my blog. I created this blog to help people. So learn new skills here and be happy!