The southeastern part of Nigeria is home to a number of delicious delicacies. Okazi soup is one of them. This delicacy is native to Abia state. It is often served in traditional wedding ceremonies and other similar occasions. It is prepared using a number of native ingredients. This gives the soup a rich, African taste. Learn how to prepare Okazi soup for free on Elistatus.
- 6-8 pieces of beef
- 2 pieces of smoked fish
- 3 pieces of stock-fish
- 6 pieces of pomo (Cow skin)
- 1/2 cup of okazi
- 1/2 cup of moulded Egusi (Optional)
- 1/4 cup of uziza
- 1/4 cup of Achara (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of ofo powder
- 1 wrap of ogiri
- 1 tablespoon of ground crayfish
- 2 cooking spoons of palm oil
- 4-6cups of water
- Chopped pepper
- Chopped onions
- Seasoning powder
- Salt to taste
- Put the pieces of beef into a medium-sized pot. Season the beef thoroughly with the chopped onions and seasoning powder.
- Allow the beef to marinade for about 20 minutes. Place the beef over medium heat and allow it to simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the quantity of water that you need for your stock. Add the stock-fish and pomo. Allow them to boil until they are tender.
- When the stock-fish is tender enough, remove it from the stock and place inside a small bowl.
- Add the ground crayfish, palm oil, pepper and ogiri into the boiling stock. Allow the stock to boil for ten minutes.
- Add the ofo powder into the stock. Stir the stock very well and allow it to thicken. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared Achara and allow the soup for about 7 minutes.
- Add the smoked fish into the soup. Allow the soup to boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the uziza and okazi leaves; one after the other. Allow the soup to simmer for about three minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool.
Enjoy your delicious homemade okazi soup with any Nigerian staple food of your choice like eba or fufu. You can also serve with semolina, wheat or amala.
Watch the video here:
My name is Kofo and this is my blog. I created this blog to help people. So learn new skills here and be happy!