How to make Coconut Chips
Coconut chips is a healthy and delicious snack that is quite popular in Nigeria. The snack is a favourite for many children and adults. Many persons like to eat coconut chips because of its crunchy nature. Coconut chips is made, primarily, from coconut flakes. It is also served at parties, picnics, game nights and road trips. It is the perfect snack for a family outing.
Homemade coconut chips are budget-friendly and easy to make. You can make different customised flavours of your homemade coconut chips. You can also package and sell these homemade chips both online and offline; and make a lot of money. It is very easy to set up a coconut chips production business in Nigeria as it is a business that requires little investments.
Learn how to produce your homemade coconut chips for free on elistatus. Learn useful skills that you can use to make money.
Preparation Time: 25-30 minutes
- 6 ounces of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- ⅓ tablespoon of kosher salt
- ⅓ teaspoon of curry powder
- ½ teaspoon of powdered tumeric
- ½ teaspoon of chilli powder (Optional)
- ¼ cup of warm water
1.First, preheat the oven to about 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a small bowl, add the honey, warm water, coconut oil and coconut flakes. Mix the coconut flakes thoroughly with the other ingredients until the flakes are evenly coated.
- Next, add the turmeric, cinnamon powder and spice chilli powder into the bowl. Mix them thoroughly with the flakes.
- Place the coated coconut flakes evenly on the baking tray. Now, put the baking tray in the oven and bake the coconut flakes for about 15 minutes. Ensure that you toss the chips every 3 minutes as this will make them bake evenly.
- When the chips are light brown in colour, remove then from the oven and place them in a small bowl to cool.
You can enjoy your homemade coconut chips alone. You can also enjoy it together with any beverage of your choice.
Store your fresh homemade coconut chips in a cool, dry place.
Alternatively, you can follow the steps below to produce your homemade coconut chips:
- A medium-sized coconut
- Cassava starch
- 50 grams of granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- Break the coconut. Using a sharp knife, carefully remove the coconut flesh from the shell.
- Grate the coconut flesh to form semi-smooth pieces.
- Pour the grate coconut, nutmeg powder, starch and sugar into a bowl. Mix them thoroughly.
- Add a little water to the mixture to form a thick dough. Next, use the rolling pin to flatten the dough.
- Cut the dough into six large pieces. Place each of them on the baking tray.
- Put the tray in the ovening and allow the dough to bake until it becomes brown and hardened.
- Remove the chips from the oven and allow them to cool.