How to: easy recipe for making samosa at home
Are you looking for a simple and easy snack to make at home? then keep reading this post on how to work with an easy recipe for making samosa at home.
Samosa is a simple and tasty snack that can be made in the comfort of your home with very simple ingredients. Though we will be providing a simple recipe, you can always tweak the recipe to suit your taste buds.
Below is the recipe on how to make samosa at home.
ingredients for the samosa sheets
- Plain Flour 3 Cups
- Water as You Required
- Salt 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Oil as You Required
Ingredients for samosa filling
- 2 medium-sized onions
- A clove of garlic
- 2 large scotch bonnet peppers
- Cooking oil
- Rosemary and basil (optional)
- 1/2cup of sliced Spring onions
- Spices(curry, thyme, coriander, black pepper) optional
- 500G minced meat
- Salt to taste
- One cup of carrot and green peas (or any vegetables you prefer)
- One large bell pepper (Optional)
Procedure for preparing the samosa sheets
- Add three cups of plain flour into a clean bowl.
- Next, you add 1& 1/2 teaspoons of salt to the plain flour.
- Mix both thoroughly with your hands or a spoon.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons of oil into the flour and salt mix.
- Add some water to get a thick consistency
- Mix and knead the dough with your hands until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Cover the dough in a bowl and leave it to sit for 30minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a wooden tray or platform.
- Use your hands to smoothen it out and cut it into 10 equal parts rolled up into ball shapes.
- Spread some flour on your rolling pin and board and use the rolling pin to smoothen out each ball till they are round and thin.
- To keep your samosa sheets and to prevent them from sticking, spread some oil on each rolled-out dough, sprinkle some flour before stacking them one after the other.
- While they are all stacked, roll them all out so that they’re somewhat flat again.
- Get a baking tray, oil it, and place the stacked, rolled-out dough on it.
- Place the dough in a 200 degreed preheated oven and leave it for about 15 minutes or until you notice the first layer puff up.
- Once it’s ready, take out the dough from the oven, cut the edges with a knife and begin separating each sheet, you will notice you have smooth, clear-looking sheets that are ready for your spring roll filling.
N/B: if you do not have an oven, you can equally use a stove. Place the rolled out and stacked up dough on a flat pan, place it on the stove, and leave it on low heat.
We just want to heat up the flour, not cook it so heat up both sides until they puff up and you’re done.
Procedure for preparing samosa filling
- Slice your onions, scotch bonnet peppers, and garlic.
- Get a frying pan and pour in some oil.
- Allow the oil to heat up before adding in your sliced onions, scotch bonnet peppers and garlic.
- Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in some rosemary, basil, and spring onions.
- Stir fry for another two minutes.
- Add in your species and stir for 30 seconds
- Include your minced or ground beef.
- Stir a little before adding in some salt to taste.
- Cook for 5 minutes then add in the carrot and green peas (or any vegetables you prefer).
- Stir the ingredients and cover the pot to cook for 10 minutes.
- Finally, add one large bell pepper of your choice, stir and allow to cook till the moisture dries up.
Once your filling is ready, wrap your samosa sheets into triangles and add your filling before deep frying in hot oil.
Your samosa is ready and can be served with any dipping sauce of your choice.
RELATED POST: How to: easy recipe for making spring rolls at home