How to make a DIY satin bonnet with an elastic band
In this article, learn how to make a DIY satin bonnet with an elastic band in the comfort of your home. The process is very affordable and easy.
- Satin fabric
- Elastic band
- Needle and thread
- Tailor’s chalk
- Pressing iron
- Place your satin fabric on a flat surface and fold it into four places.
- Align the fabric properly and fold it into two sides.
- Hold the fabric with pins and mark 14inches with your chalk from the top end of the fabric around to form a semi-circle.
- Connect the markings with your tailor’s chalk and cut out the shape with your scissors.
- You should have two big circles after cutting the fabric.
- Place the circle’s side by side. The right side should face each other, then secure the ends with pins.
- Sew the fabric round at one inch and leave about 6.5 inches opening on the fabric.
- Following the pins, sew the fabric around.
- Turn the fabric inside out
- Close the opening by sewing or stitching neatly.
- Iron the fabric to flatten the ends.
- Sew around again. You should have a smooth round shape.
- To make gathers, pull out one of the threads. Be very careful when doing this so you don’t cut the thread.
- Once you have gotten your gathers, you should have 12 inches multiplied by 2 which is 24 inches, the total measurement for the head circumference.
- Knot the thread you pulled out and cut out the excess thread.
- Get your elastic band, and measure 25 inches.
- Cut the band and sew the extra one inch.
- Wrap the elastic at the opened part of the already sewn fabric and use pins to secure the elastic band to the fabric.
- Sew the band to the fabric at 0.5 inches.
- Turn the bonnet out and it is ready!
Feel free to make reference to the tutorial video attached to this post for a step-by-step process.