How to make easy DIY hair serum at home
In this post, we share a simple step-by-step recipe on how to make easy DIY hair serum at home. This hair serum is non-greasy and guaranteed to protect your hair.
Hair Serums are usually lightweight silicone-based styling products aimed at improving the appearance and manageability of one’s hair by coating the surface of your hair. Depending on the brand, each serum can have unique benefits, but generally, serums add shine, smoothness, reduce frizziness, and protect against harsh environmental elements.
Hair oils and hair serums are completely different. Hair serums are “quick fix” surface-level products that don’t particularly offer deep moisturizing benefits to your hair.
Based on that context, serums are usually applied as finishing products or used alongside traditional hair oils and hair moisturizers.
Some benefits of hair serums include:
- Serums give immediate shine and sleekness to hair, tames frizz and split ends.
- They also add slip and assists in detangling by reducing friction between the hair.
- Because it is the application is very lightweight, it doesn’t weigh down the hair or leave the hair feeling greasy.
- Serums do a great job in protecting the hair against environmental factors such as pollution, humidity, and heat.
- Provides flexible styling and can be applied to both wet and dry hair.
Recipe on how to make easy DIY hair serum at home
This recipe makes about 30grams of hair serum. In addition, this recipe contains silicon which isn’t necessarily a choice for everyone but happens to be the active ingredient to make the serum non-greasy.
- 15g Marula Oil
- 9g Dimethicone 1000
- 6g Squalane (Olive Derived)
- 0.1g Vitamin E Oil (Antioxidant)
- 0.5g Essential Oils (Optional Fragrance)
Ensure that you follow this step-by-step process on how to make easy DIY hair serum at home
- The first step is to measure out all your ingredients: Marula oil, Dimethicone, Squalane, Vitamin E Oil, and Essential or Fragrance oils.
- Blend all the ingredients together until they’re well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a pump container or pipette bottle and store it away from direct sunlight.
How to apply hair serum
The beauty of hair serum is that it can be applied to both wet and dry hair. But please note that hair serums should either be applied to pre-moisturized hair or used alongside other moisturizing products.
- Shake serum bottle thoroughly before applying
- Pump a small amount into hands and rub the serum between palms to warm it up and apply evenly.
- Begin at the ends of your hair and work the serum towards the middle sections. Try to avoid the roots and scalp when applying.
- You can choose to use your fingers, comb, or brush to evenly distribute the serum throughout your hair to promote maximum shine.
Please let us know what you think about this post in the comment section below.