LEARN TO MAKE 3 INGREDIENT ICE CREAM AT HOME
Learn how to make ice cream at home on Elistatus. Ice Cream is the perfect way to send off summer with one last celebration. For this recipe, all you need is three ingredients. There is no need for any fancy equipment, ice cream makers, or special tools!
For parties, a DIY ice cream sundae bar with strawberry sauce and caramel sauce, whipped cream, chopped nuts, and a cherry for the top is always a crowd pleaser! Or serve with your favourite fall desserts like apple pie or a delicious rhubarb crisp!
A traditional homemade ice cream recipe often starts with cooking a custard. First of all, we add the custard to an ice cream machine that has been pre-frozen and churns until the custard freezes into a creamy delight.
No Ice Cream Maker? No Problem!
To make this ice cream recipe, all we need is three ingredients, three easy steps and no ice cream maker is required!
Combine the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl (based on the recipe below). For a more intense vanilla flavour, use a real vanilla bean by scraping the tiny seeds out of the pod. Add to the mixture.
In the second chilled bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold together until thoroughly mixed. Do not overmix or the finished result won’t be as light and airy.
Now you are ready to freeze it! Just pour into a prepared loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap.
How Long Does it Take to Make?
As long as the loaf pan and bowl for the whipping cream are pre-chilled, mixing up the rest of the ingredients shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes or so!
P into the loaf pan, cover it with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
Additions to No-Churn Ice Cream
The possibilities to change the flavour of this ice cream are endless. Simply sprinkle in a handful of add-ins and freeze as directed—the swap of the vanilla for your favourite extracts.
- Add a swirl of peanut butter, Nutella, or cookie butter.
- You can also add broken bits of graham crackers/cookies or chopped nuts.
- Chocolate chips, butterscotch chips or M&Ms.
- Fresh strawberries, peaches or slightly mashed cherries are also a great choice.
Storing Homemade Ice Cream
Vanilla ice cream will quickly pick up freezer odours and flavours, so keep it tightly sealed in a freezer container.
How Long Will It Last?
Once the ice cream is ready, the key is to keep it from temperature fluctuations. Here are a couple of tips to make sure the ice cream stays fresh!
- Cover the ice cream with plastic wrap before you put the container lid on it. covering the ice cream prevents ice crystals from forming on the top of the ice cream. (This works with store-bought ice cream as well.
- Store in a flat container instead of a deep container.
- Store towards the back of the freezer (not the door), so the temperature stays the same.
Check out our post on how to make a simple mug cake