Learn to make the original Nigerian Efo riro for free! We have provided videos and written instructions below, so be rest assured that you will be a professional in no time by simply following the recipe and process involved!
INGREDIENTS: Efo riro
- Assorted meat and fish; (Beef, Shaki, Smoked fish, Dry fish, Stock fish)
- Ground crayfish
- Locust beans
- Efo Tete/ Efo Shoko
- Tatashe pepper
- Palm oil
- Salt & Habanero / Scotch Bonnet peppers (to taste)
- Soak the stockfish for a few hours if you are using this ingredient until it becomes soft and removes the bones in it.
- Wash the vegetable of your choice thoroughly and cut into small pieces.
- Remove the seeds from the tatashe pepper and grind until it is coarse.
- Get your onions ready by slicing them, pound the pepper and grind the crayfish.
- Cook the Shaki with little quantity of water because it is the toughest type of meat to be used.
- The Efo riro soup should have little water so be careful of the quantity of water added.
- Add the already cooked stockfish and dry fish when you notice that the shaki starts to form a curly shape.
- When these ingredients are almost cooked, put in the beef, sliced onions and stock cubes.
- That aside, heat up little quantity of palm oil in a pot, adding sliced onions afterward.
- Fry the tatashe peppers in the heated palm oil for a few minutes until there is no more water in it.
- At this point, put in the crayfish and locust beans which are popularly known as ‘Iru.’ Stir well.
- Put in the already cooked assorted fish and meat. Stir well and leave to cook for a bit.
- Pour the vegetables and stir all the ingredients together. Leave to cook for a few minutes. Add sufficient salt, allow to steam before turning off the source of the heat.
- Voila! you are done, serve with eba, poundo yam, fufu or any other type of swallow you desire.
Learn to make Nigerian Catfish Pepper soup.