How to make a simple natural DIY body lotion at home
Learn how to make a simple natural DIY body lotion at home through the very detailed formula we share in this post that creates a lightweight lotion.
When it comes to creating your very own simple natural DIY body lotion at home, it is important to note that all lotions are made up of 5 primary ingredients. The ingredients include Water, oil, emulsifier, antioxidant, and preservative.
Below is a breakdown of these ingredients.
- Water – this involves any water-based products like aloe vera, green tea, floral waters or hydrosols etc.
- Oil – It is made up of both liquid oils (almond, castor, jojoba) & solid butters (shea, cocoa, mango).
- Emulsifier – When water and oil are in the same product, you always need an emulsifier to ensure they mix together and don’t separate.
- Antioxidant – this ingredient slows down the oxidation process of your oils, and prevents them from turning rancid
- Preservative -It is the most important ingredient and it probably one of the biggest misconceptions in DIY skincare. Though a lot of skincare isn’t edible, natural skincare uses perishable ingredients so in a way it’s like cooking. Where water exists, there is life, so if your skincare has water ingredients (lotions, creams, toners, gels, etc.) they will surely need a preservative to stop the bacteria, mold, and fungi from growing.
Those are the ingredients needed to make your very own lotion at home. Now try out the recipe below.
Recipe for how to make a simple natural DIY body lotion at home
This recipe makes about 100grams of natural body lotion.
- 67g Distilled Water
- 2g Honey (use glycerine for vegan lotion)
- 10g Shea Butter
- 12g Almond Oil
- 5g Emulsifying Wax BP (this depends on what emulsifier you use, but most emulsifying waxes are around 4% – 6%)
- 2g Leucidal Liquid SF
- 1g Vitamin E (Antioxidants)
- 1g (max) Fragrances – optional
Please ensure that you follow each step carefully for how to make a simple natural DIY body lotion at home
- First step: water phase & oil phase ingredients in 2 separate heat resistant glasses
- Second step: heat to the same temperature by placing in the same double boiler or heating method. It will take about 20 minutes for the oil and wax to melt down completely
- Third step: Once everything is melted, slowly pour the heated water phase into the oil phase. Use a spatula to stir until everything combined, then transfer onto a flat surface
- The fifth step: use an electric whisk or immersion blender to whip up the lotion until it’s fully emulsified and has a thick, creamy texture. It will thicken as it cools and takes approximately 5 minutes of blending
- Sixth step: once the lotion is made add your preservative, antioxidants & any fragrances
- Your lotion is ready at this point and you will need a container that’s at least 25% bigger to store lotion.
Please let us know what you think about this post in the comment section below.