How to make easy sausage rolls at home
Learn how to make easy sausage rolls at home with our simple recipe. Your sausage will definitely come out looking and tasting delicious.
Ingredients for how to make easy sausage rolls at home
Measurements for this recipe makes 24 Sausage rolls
- 6 1/2 cups plain flour (800g)
- 1 1/3 cup butter (300g)
- 2tbsp sugar
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs cinnamon powder or 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup cold milk or water
- 1 tsp Salt if you’re using unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp cameroon pepper (optional)
Ingredients for the filling
- 500g sausage meat
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Bouillon cube(s)
Method of preparation
The first step in making easy sausage rolls at home is to start with the dough
- Sift the plan flour into a clean bowl using a sieve.
- After sifting your flour, add in the seasoning or spices next. the spices include sugar, cinnamon powder, Cameroon pepper, smoked paprika, and baking powder.
- Mix the spices thoroughly with the flour before adding the butter next. Ensure that you use cold solid butter.
- Mix the flour and butter with your hands until you get a crumbly texture.
- Once you have achieved a crumbly texture, set the mixture aside and prepare the wet ingredients.
- Break two eggs and add some cold milk into a jug. Mix the two ingredients with a whisk thoroughly.
- Get the flour mixture and make a well in the middle of your bowl.
- Pour in the wet ingredients, mix and knead thoroughly till it forms a non sticky dough. (You can use a stand mixer for this process if you have one, otherwise, use your hands).
- Move the dough on to a flat surface and knead again with your hands.
- Place the smooth dough in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave it to rest for about 30minutes to an hour.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the filling.
- Get some pork, beef or chicken sausage (whichever you prefer). Remove the casing of the sausage and place them in a clean bowl.
- Next, add the following spices to the sausages, onion powder, smoked paprika, seasoning cubes, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Thoroughly mix the spices into the sausages till it’s well combined.
- Beat an egg and set aside to be used as egg wash later.
- Get your rested dough and slice it into four parts. Roll out the dough into a rectangular shape. Use a knife or dough cutter to clean up the edges.
- Place some of your sausage mix on the dough and rub some egg wash at the edge of the dough to help with sealing.
- Roll up the dough and slice them into any size you prefer.
- Arrange the sausage rolls on a parchement paper baking tray and poke the top with a fork to create a sort of steam vent.
- Rub some of your egg wash on top of the sausages, place them in a preheated oven of 170 degrees celsius and let them bake for about 25 minutes.
Your sausages are ready.
Please try out this recipe and let us know what you think in the comment section below.