How to make the best meat pie at home
In this post, we share a simple recipe on how to make the best meat pie at home. You can also tweak the recipe to suit your taste or preference.
Ingredients for making the best meat pie at home
- 500g all-purpose flour (4 cups)
- 15g salt (2 teaspoons) ——*skip if using salted butter*
- 240g unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
Ingredients for the filling
- 450g ground beef /minced beef
- 1 large potato(diced)
- 1 carrot(diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon each
- Garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 seasoning cube
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup water
We begin the recipe by making the stuffing for the meat pie first.
Start out by dicing some potatoes, onions, and carrots into small cubes and set them aside.
- To begin, get a non-stick frying pan and add some cooking oil.
- Once the oil has heated up a bit, add your diced onions to the frying pan.
- Fry the onions until they become a bit translucent.
- Next, add in your ground beef.
- Cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink in color.
- Add your spices, beef seasoning, salt, curry, thyme, garlic powder, or diced garlic, and dry chili powder or sliced chili.
- Stir the beef well to ensure the seasoning is well incorporated.
- Next, add in your sliced potatoes, stir well with the beef.
- Your sliced carrot goes in next once the potatoes have cooked a bit.
- Also, add a tablespoon of flour and stir the ingredients together.
- Finally, add some water, cover the pot and let the ingredients cook for about 20 minutes.
- After the ingredients have cooked to a thicker texture, take it out of the heat and set it aside to cool.
To prepare the dough for the pie
- Get a bowl and add your all-purpose flour
- Next goes in some salt and chilled butter.
- Mix the dough with your hands until crumbly.
- Pour some cold water into the crumbly dough and mix with your hands but do not over mix.
- Once the dough has a somewhat smooth texture, wrap it in cling film and place it in the fridge for 30minutes.
- After 30minutes, take out the dough and place it on a floured surface before rolling it into a round shape. Use a round medium or small-sized bowl to get a perfectly round shape.
- Add your stuffing, fold the dough and use a fork to seal the edges.
- spread some egg wash on top of the meat pie before placing it in the oven to bake. Egg wash is simply, egg yolk mixed with a bit of water, it will make the meat pie brown beautifully.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 degrees celsius for about 35mins or until the meat pie turns to a lovely golden brown.
Your tasty homemade meat pie is ready!