How to Sew a Wig
Learn how to sew a wig for free on Elistatus. Wig making is a very useful skill in Nigeria. Many women prefer to use wigs instead of spending a lot of time and money in the salon. Even though wigs are expensive, they turn out to be actually cheaper in the long run, especially when you consider how much money and time you will end up saving at the end of the day.
You can make a lot of money from making and selling your own handmade wig. Follow these easy steps to sew different types of wigs.
A. Wig with Lace Closure
- Weaving cap
- Hair bundles with closure
- Measuring tape
- Hair-sewing needle and thread
- Wig stand
- Wig block
- First, take the measurements of your head. Cut out these measurements from the lace. This will create a pattern for the wig.
- Next, sew the wig. Start at the edges of the cap then continue sewing using the ‘top and full’ sewing method.
- After sewing the hair fully on the cap, add the hair closure. You can make the necessary adjustments to the wig now.
B. How to Make a Braided Wig
- A wig cap
- A piece of lace
- Hair extensions for the braids
- A mannequin head
- Some pins
- A sharp pair of scissors
- Big sewing needles and thread. (The thread should have the same color as the hair extensions)
- Hair cream
- A lighter
- First, prepare the hair extensions. Cut them as you wish.
- Next, place the wig cap on the mannequin head. Adjust it to the necessary size.
- Make the lace closure for the braided wig. You will have to cut out a piece of lace and sew it to the wig cap.
- Now, start making the braids. Simply take a thin part of the hair extension, pass it through the needle eye and pass the needle through the cap material.
- Pull out on the end of the extension and allow it to hang out of the cap. Braid all the hair extensions.
- Attach the wig comb or elastic bands to keep the wig in place.
- Now, trim off the rough edges of the wig. Finally, insert it in hot water to strengthen it. Remove the wig from the water and dry it.
- Apply a little hair cream to make the wig shine.